In this episode of The Picturebooking Podcast I introduce myself. With my baby daughter by my side we talk about what got me interested in picture books and my purpose for creating picturebooking.com.
I briefly talk about my first picture book
- I’m required to shameless plug it (Norby the College Mascot)
I mention a couple of educational institutions
- Schoolism offers online art classes. I’ve taken Digital Painting with Bobby Chiu, Fundamentals of Character Design with Stephen Silver and Designing with Color and Light with Nathan Fowkes. I also took a storyboarding class that they no longer offer. I’ve done both the self-taught and the video feedback options. If you can afford it, the feedback classes are so much better!
- St. Norbert College is a Catholic liberal arts college located in De Pere, Wisconsin. I graduated from this institution and I am currently employed by the college as a graphic designer.
- The Institute of Children’s Literature is a home study organization. I took a writing class through the Institute and learned a lot. My instructor was Bonny Becker.
- The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators is the professional organization dedicated to children’s literature. I’ve been a member since 2005.
I live in Northeast Wisconsin
- My current home is Sheboygan, WI
- My hometown is De Pere, WI
- I love the Packers … and Brewers
My goal is to live a life worthy of the opportunity before me
My opportunity to create and share stories is a gift. A gift that wasn’t available five years ago. But thanks to technology I can tell my stories my way, and share them with the world. And when I get really good at telling stories I can work with a traditional publisher if I want. But until then I’m happy to write and paint and share everything with you.
My purpose for picturebooking.com
To foster a creative process for making and sharing picture book stories. Giving myself the freedom to learn and to play.
I hope to provide others and myself with a mindset to become better storytellers, and to help us find a creatively engaging path from amateur to professional and beyond.
I hope to inspire kids with my stories and how I create them. I hope my picture books become a gateway to a life of reading and learning. I hope my stories inspire kids to create their own. And I hope to have as much fun as possible pursuing the life of a storyteller.