In this episode of the Picturebooking Podcast I interview Henry Cole, the author-illustrator of Big Bug. Henry took his love of science, nature and teaching and applied them to the craft of illustrating children’s books.
Video Excerpt: How Seinfeld inspired this picture book character
In this episode you’ll learn:
- The fun side of a hurricane
- How a science teacher becomes a picture book illustrator
- What Jean George wrote on a napkin that changed Henry Coles life
- School visit advice from a man who went to over 100 schools last year
- How the TV show Seinfeld inspired the Moosetache character design
- Henry’s childhood farm depicted in his picture book Big Bug
- Paying it forward … in practice
- Why Dracula and a fuzzy bunny shouldn’t be illustrated the same
- Henry’s thoughts about illustrating And Tango Makes Three
- The joy of working with a group of people you like on a project you love
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Buy Henry’s Books
And support the show through our Amazon affiliate links:
Or support your local bookstore:
Moosetache • Big Bug • And Tango Makes Three
Thanks for listening to my chat with Henry Cole! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons below, and leave a comment to continue the conversation.
Also, reviews for the podcast on iTunes help others find the show. These reviews matter in the rankings of the show, and I’d greatly appreciate your feedback!